Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black History Month: An Alternative
(02-13-2016, 01:13 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I believe white privilege does exist. Again, as I state in many other arguments, the problem with the whole "white privilege" issue is that a lot of people who argue about it have their own idea of what "white privilege" means. To me, white privilege doesn't mean that everyone who is white is somehow richer or automatically better off than everyone else. To me, white privilege is a type of privilege that exists for every race. I am a black man and I believe there is black privilege. I believe there are various types of privileges that exist for everyone. I even believe there is heterosexual privilege.

To put it short, privilege exists for every race in different ways and the amount of that privilege depends on who owns the most authority. A lot of the time, people of color are the ones who get harassed or looked down upon the most or as seen as the most "dangerous".

I cut some just 'cause it was long, but I really enjoyed the post. I have a feeling this thread is about to be sent to hell per ush, so I figured I get that in beforehand. (Edit: Whoops, looks like I took too long)

My biggest gripe is that the concept of white privilege is equated with the concept of white guilt by some people, while the two couldn't be more different. I've noticed privilege (especially while working in the court system!) and while I'm sure that there are certain privileges that minorities get, I'm sure they pale in comparison to those enjoyed by the majority. It's not about feeling bad or guilty, but trying to understand and recognize the obstacles that centuries of racial division has created in our society.

It'll take more time still, as represented so well presently. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Black History Month: An Alternative - CKwi88 - 02-14-2016, 12:23 AM