Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati rock radio blows ...
In regards to 92.5, I get that many people identify "classic rock" as primarily mid 60's to late 70's, Led Zeppelin, to Boston to Santana, to Peter Frampton, etc. But for me it only makes sense for them to expand on that as time goes by.

The 96.5 of the world are going to be doing stuff aimed at a younger demographic. They'll mix in some alternative stuff but there's a lot of Five Finger Death Punch and Slipnot and that type of stuff. U2 doesn't exactly fit the bill. Neither does hair metal like Poison and Ratt.

The fact is that marketing demographic of 18-34 year old males is a very real thing. And a lot of guys in that age group don't want to hear stuff that is 25 years old. To them that Pearl Jam song is as ancient as I thought Jim Croce was when I was that age.

So where do you go to listen to that type of stuff? Well, 92.5 seems like the most obvious choice. Why wouldn't they modernize their playlist to attract the same demographic they were after before (35+)?

I would guess a lot of boomers who used to listen to a healthy dose of FM radio do so in very limited amounts now. I would think they would gravitate more towards AM and talk radio. And I think that's why things like Breakfast with the Beatles went away, and you hear less Rod Stewart and more GnR.

Face it, the alternative scene is now every bit as "classic" as the many of the bands in the 70's were in the 90's. And I wouldn't be surprised if many of listeners back then were bemoaning the fact they had to go to the "oldies station" to listen to Led Zeppelin.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cincinnati rock radio blows ... - Wes Mantooth - 02-15-2016, 02:06 AM