Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black History Month: An Alternative
(02-14-2016, 11:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Discrimination based on race by lenders, realtors, police, all-white country clubs, etc, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/nyregion/15subprime.html?ex=1350187200&en=a9978e04a9864642&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0

Home buyers in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods in New York City were more likely to get their mortgages last year from a subprime lender than home buyers in white neighborhoods with similar income levels, according to a new analysis of home loan data by researchers at New York University.

The analysis, by N.Y.U.’s Furman Center for Real Estate and Urban Policy, illustrates stark racial differences between the New York City neighborhoods where subprime mortgages — which can come with higher interest rates, fees and penalties — were common and those where they were rare. The 10 neighborhoods with the highest rates of mortgages from subprime lenders had black and Hispanic majorities, and the 10 areas with the lowest rates were mainly non-Hispanic white.

The analysis showed that even when median income levels were comparable, home buyers in minority neighborhoods were more likely to get a loan from a subprime lender.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/racism-alive-and-well-in-housing/

[url=http://www.huduser.org/portal/Publications/pdf/HUD-514_HDS2012_execsumm.pdf][/url]. Department of Housing and Urban Development shows that real estate and leasing agents do not show minority homebuyers and renters as many available properties as they do to white customers.

"Although we've come a long way from blatant, in-your-face housing injustice, racial discrimination still exists," said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan. "Just because it's become less obvious doesn't mean that it's less harmful."

In the study, black, Hispanic, Asian and white home seekers called up housing agents and asked to set up an appointment to see advertised properties. These testers were all the same gender, the same age and all equally well-qualified to rent or own the properties. At this step, nearly every tester managed to get an appointment.

But after that, not everyone was treated the same. The testers met with their agents, who told them about and then showed them properties. As it turns out, the number of properties some agents have available depends on who you are.

In nearly all cases, whether renting or buying, minorities were told about and shown fewer properties than white people. Blacks were told about and shown about 17 percent fewer homes than whites, while Asians were told about 15.5 percent fewer homes and shown nearly 19 percent fewer properties.

When real estate and rental agents don't allow minorities to hear about or see all properties available to them, they may wind up assigning their kids to worse schools, reducing their overall safety and limiting their job opportunities, Donovan said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/opinion/racial-discrimination-in-stop-and-frisk.html

At the heart of the Floyd case are statistics showing that the city conducted an astounding 4.4 million stops between January 2004 and June 2012. Of these, only 6 percent resulted in arrests and 6 percent resulted in summonses. In other words, 88 percent of the 4.4 million stops resulted in no further action — meaning a vast majority of those stopped were doing nothing wrong. More than half of all people stopped were frisked, yet only 1.5 percent of frisks found weapons. In about 83 percent of cases, the person stopped was black or Hispanic, even though the two groups accounted for just over half the population.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/whistleblower-in-st-louis-county-police-racial-profiling-probe-alleges/article_3f52ec44-f9ab-5b06-b1f9-868cd63fc9ba.html

O'Neil's anonymousmous letters, which began arriving in the chief's office in December, alleged that Hayes ordered officers to arrest blacks in and around the South County Shopping Center as well as a nearby Walmart. Both Hayes and O'Neil are white.

O'Neil said he waited months before coming forward through anonymous letters because Hayes often boasted of his connections to top commanders.

"I had no intention to take the police department down," O'Neil said. "But these things had to be stopped. When a black person can't go shopping at a mall, it's wrong. ... This isn't 50 years ago."

Other officers corroborated O'Neil's claims during the internal investigation, which determined Hayes violated department policies when using “inappropriate racial references” while issuing the orders. He was fired May 13.

OK, I can finally get to this one.  Man, I am glad that my job is so easy.

To the 1st, I will research this study to make sure the study was done correctly.  However, all studies are not without flaws and even then can be done in a way to reach confirmation bias.  

I know that HUD is not a reliable way to go to get information.  Not only that, but from my experience with Realtors they tend to ask A LOT of questions.  How you answer those questions will depend on what they will show you.  So unless everyone was following the same script and went to the exact same Realtors it is hard to accurately state that racial bias might be at play. 

For instance, if the Realtor ask what type look are you going for and the couple answers modern, while another couple answers traditional.  Then depending on the area, you might not have as many choice for one over the other.  So again, there are some things that need to be addressed before I take the study as 100% reliable.  

To the Stop and Frisk.  OK, I am just going to say this.  The neighborhood is a big time factor in this.  If you think for a moment that officers are going to go into a gated community to conduct this procedure then you are kidding yourself.  No they are going to go to other areas.  Not only that, but what was the time frame?  Did they stop people all day, or is there a certain number that each officer is suppose to do before the end of their shift?  I would also like to know if they base the information on ethnicity based on name or is it physical features?  This is very important when discussing Hispanics.  Since a person with the last name Lopez doesn't necessarily mean they look Hispanic. 

Basically an officer sees someone, walks up and stops them.  The officer asks for ID and conduct his search.  The person's ID reads Lopez.  The person looks White (maybe the person is from Spain, eh?).  Is the name the factor of deciding ethnicity?  If so, then Mr. Hispanic Lopez was stopped, even if the Officer originally thought he was stopping a white man.  If it is based on the officers perception, then this would be more in line with proving something, since the officer is filling out the report based on his perception, but even then the name can influence the perception.  Penelope Cruz is from Spain, yet, every time her name is mentioned or you listen to her speak, you don't think Espana.  Good movie recommendation... Banditas,  Hayek and Cruz.

To the 3rd.  This is the easiest.  Come on Lawyer.  Alleged? 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Black History Month: An Alternative - Sovereign Nation - 02-15-2016, 02:52 AM