Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cap could be over 155 million
It may not change how Cincy does business, but I'd hope they would strike on being a little more flexible with extending their own guys right now. This may strike a nerve with some, but I'd be okay with locking in Dre for a few more years at a reasonable number. You do it for continuity, and the idea that they're very careful on handling starting corners. They let Zim play his guys that knew the system in Dallas over then young Dre, and sat Dennard for a long time as well. As it stands, there are questions at corner so there would be a lot of pressure to draft one high (over a true BPA at another position) because they aren't paying top dollar in any year for a top 64 NFL corner or putting a rookie out there. They really hate having dead money, but I think they'd pay out say two million in his 3rd or 4th year to have him as a starter today. You'd also look toward signing Zeitler and Gio today too, though the gap may increase between Zeitler as the top salary for a guard goes up.

As for the UFA's, the guy it could change things with could be Nelson. I don't think he signs before FA opens, but Cincy may increase the guarantees early in the deal and front load it, but I can't see them paying him top dollar at the end of his career like a desperate team may. Also throw in the possible question marks at corner (Dennard coming off injury, Shaw a tweener yet talented, limited depth and Dre not a #1) and it makes sense to sure up safety. I think how they go after the others won't change much, maybe they throw an extra 500k-1M at Gilberry as depth to free up draft options, but that's about it.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
cap could be over 155 million - J24 - 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
RE: cap could be over 155 million - phil413 - 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: cap could be over 155 million - J24 - 02-22-2016, 06:13 PM
RE: cap could be over 155 million - J24 - 02-22-2016, 06:27 PM