Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia
(02-15-2016, 04:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no reason to respect him.  

(02-16-2016, 02:27 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: When you want to expound upon his good points and virtues rather than criticize a paraphrase that basically said what he said, the floor has been and still is open.

Need help?

Justice Scalia had many good points.
- He had a great legal mind.
- He could argue against his opponents, such as Ruth Ginsberg, and still remain friends with them (they vacationed together several times I'm told).
- He was sincere in his beliefs.
- He liked opera and pizza and played piano.
- He was married to his wife Maureen for 56 years and they had 9 kids together.

Are you sure about that Fred?

You forgot about another good point Zona. People like you and Fred should be kissing Scalias nutsack.

He was a fierce defender of criminals.

Still, Scalia’s opinions for the court—and, as ferociously, his dissents—have shaped the landscape of protections afforded to criminal defendants. Charles Ogletree, a famed public defender, adviser to President Obama, and Harvard Law School professor, said of Scalia, a brilliant, colorful, towering giant of the legal community who died suddenly on Saturday at the age of 79, “We are from different worlds, but we both appreciate the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.” Here are the myriad ways in which Scalia treated the founding document as protections against overzealous police investigations, intrusions on the right of the accused to examine witnesses at trial, and attacks on the right to a jury trial.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2016/02/antonin_scalia_was_often_a_friend_of_criminal_defendants.html

“I ought to be the darling of the criminal defense bar,” Scalia once pleaded. “I have defended criminal defendants’ rights—because they’re there in the original Constitution—to a greater degree than most judges have.”

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Tribute Thread to SC Justice Scalia - Vlad - 02-16-2016, 11:13 AM