Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone
(02-17-2016, 01:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: The warrant granted them access to the phone, their inability to get access is on them. They are trying to over interpret an old law to force them to develop technology that doesn't exist. That isn't a reasonable expectation and at some point it will be overturned. Encryption isn't illegal and until a law exists that require a back door then they are within their rights to refuse to develop one.

I agree with the bold and that's what I disagree with.

On the other hand, I think Apple is full of crap on that. When Steve Jobs resigned (and died a few months later), I would guess the first thing they did was take his work phone, work laptop and all other devices and then dug through them so they can stay afloat for the next decade until somebody else comes up  with a decent idea. If they have that technology (which I think they do) then it becomes debatable as to whether they should use it at the request of law enforcement.

It's like OnStar declining to track a vehicle that's stolen or that has a kidnapping victim. I think they should... until a warrant comes in. At that point, if they have the technology to assist and it isn't overly disruptive to company production, I think they should.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone - Benton - 02-17-2016, 02:08 PM