Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone
(02-17-2016, 05:46 PM)Benton Wrote: well, I said I was going to leave it alone.

LOL

anyway, if it's impossible apple would've said "it's impossible." They haven't. They've said 'we don't want to.' You keep saying it's not possible, but apple is saying otherwise. I believe them.

There was an assumption based on apples own notes about their secure enclave in their security statment, but it is coming out now that may have been false. It was believed the secure enclave acted as a safe within a safe that was untouchable from the outside. Basically creating the 2 key nuke scenario that made it impossible to hack even for them. It has been leaked by a former engineer that you can touch the firmware on the secure enclave as well as the iOS. This means that a code rewrite would allow the FBI to try and brute force. The issue is depending on how much they can change, the FBI still may be limited to how fast it can brute force. If the guys used a 10 character password or more though, you COULD be talking years to break the code.

If this all ends up being true then in future, the secure enclave operation system needs to be hard coded in order to make the device truly un-hackable even by Apple. To me the most damning thing is that Apple either didn't consider this back door or they knew and they lied to their customers. Both of these scenarios are a bit scary when you consider many high ranking and government officials use these devices with national security level secrets on them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone - Au165 - 02-18-2016, 10:50 AM