Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone
(02-18-2016, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: AU made a good comparison.  When a company sells someone a safe the person who purchases it sets the combination so that even the company that made the safe can not get into it.

But a safe is different because if the government gets a safe that belonged to a terrorist they can cut the door off.

But the company also can provide information on how to get into the safe should there be a need. Diagrams to locking mechanisms and what have you that locksmiths, and the company, can use to get into a safe.

The difference I see if that an iPhone is much more common than a safe, and is very likely to hold lots and lots of personal information. Plus, technology, such as a modified OS, can be obtained and transferred very easily making the potential for a hacker with nefarious intentions more likely to obtain and utilize the OS.

I think that Apple should have a way to do it, but I don't like it in the hands of the feds. I also don't like the idea of this OS existing on anything connected to a network. At all. But that's just me. I don't even have an iAnything, I'm more concerned about the precedent than anything.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Apple opposes gov order to unlock iPhone - Belsnickel - 02-18-2016, 02:45 PM