Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Weddle More concerned about winner than Money.
(02-20-2016, 12:23 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, but the tag is projected to be $10.7m for safeties.

Iloka is simply not a $10m+ safety. Not even sure he's an $7-8m safety (at least for the Bengals) considering he was down for at least 4.5 games in 2015 and Williams filled in without the defense suffering.

George Iloka in 645 defensive snaps: 47 tackles, 4 Pdef, 1 INT
Shawn Williams in 474 defensive snaps: 32 tackles, 5 Pdef, 2 INT

Roll with Nelson and Williams, and draft a safety in the 4th or 5th for depth.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the Bengals will transition tag Iloka.  I can't recall them ever spending big money on a safety, so if they don't deem him a 10M player they will let him find his own deal.  This basically puts the ball in George's court to actually sign the dotted line for another team and Cincy can match if they want, though they lose him for nothing if not.  I believe he would still factor into a comp pick count.  As for chasing Weddle, I think it's a win/win.  Iloka and Nelson's agents will see that Cincy won't be an option for one of them if Weddle signs.  If Weddle signs a reasonable two year deal, then Cincy has insurance to not have to pay top dollar for their own guy (or another FA) or have to draft one or two very high.    
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eric Weddle More concerned about winner than Money. - phil413 - 02-20-2016, 01:46 AM