Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals reportedly "making push" to keep Vincent Rey
(02-20-2016, 03:26 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Vincent Rey is the Chris Heisey of the Bengals. Lol...

Great backup for all the spots, can give you a big play off the bench, but overall an exceedingly mediocre talent who just gets the best out of what he has. Can't justify spending more than backup money on him though, no matter how much you might like him.

Heisey is a good comparison.  I'll stand by the 3yr/11M total number factoring in the Bengals value continuity, his versatility and all the other stuff mentioned.  Two factors blur the lines as to what we value now adays though.  With the cap going up, everyone is going to feel entitled to a bit more.  A 3 million dollar player may be worth 3.3-3.5.  The other factor is what a starter is now adays.  You made a great case for Laurinaitis in the other thread using snap counts.  We debate what a tackle means in this thread, but I don't see enough of his actual role in this thread.  Sure he's good insurance, though he gets pushed around at MLB yet his smart enough to play the role.  The question is to Cincy though, who is he.  They liked Gilberry as a super sub on the DL, but he became the default starter when MJ bolted and they didn't progress a youngster there.  So beyond being this 4th guy, we gotta remember that they actually like him enough to give him reps as a nickle LB which blurs the line along with nickle corner and SLB as a "starter".  So for me, it's not so black and white as you present it.  I don't have hard numbers for what a backup and a starter are paid.  To me, he plays enough reps well enough and is trustworthy enough to warrant 3.33-3.67M/yr given the increase and factors above.  If I'm overpaying, so be it but I"m not handing him a 5M/yr deal as the rumor and thread suggests.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals reportedly "making push" to keep Vincent Rey - phil413 - 02-20-2016, 04:15 AM