Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Weddle More concerned about winner than Money.
(02-20-2016, 03:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I suppose I wouldn't be against that for Iloka. At least then you get to see what he'd sign for and decide then. If you don't, nothing lost.

I'm really not so sure about Weddle though. His declining coverage stats kind of worry me.

2011: 11 Pdef, 7 INT
2012: 9 Pdef, 3 INT
2013: 9 Pdef, 2 INT
2014: 8 Pdef, 1 INT
2015: 6 Pdef, 0 INT

I know he's still a good safety, but I don't know. You already have Nelson performing at a high level, in the system, knowing the scheme. I wouldn't overpay Nelson, but I do think it'd be best to keep him, pair him up with Williams, and then draft a safety in the 4th or so.

Not to mention I think it's a moot point because....
https://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/espn's=coley=harvey=expects=the=bengals=to=re=sign=free=agent=reggie=nelson.?$deeplink_path=newsitem-1984991&$fallback_url=http://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/espn%2527s%253Dcoley%253Dharvey%253Dexpects%253Dthe%253Dbengals%253Dto%253Dre%253Dsign%253Dfree%253Dagent%253Dreggie%253Dnelson.&_branch_match_id=227382905796626493
First off, that's great news you brought and I'm hope they end up getting a deal done.  Its funny that I've learned to trust the FO with a signing like this as I know they won't lump a bunch of guaranteed money into a deal and have dead money to pay when he's 36.  Weddle wouldn't be a target over the other two, but the byproduct of persuing him at least puts on heat on getting numbers to either match or move on.  As for Weddle the player, he was given too big of a deal that he isn't worth today but his a stable starter.  If you look at the situation he was in and as in now, you can see that the decline in stats isn't due totally to age and the Pdef/Int stats aren't absolutes in rating DBs.  I'm not even saying I know what is now adays it's beyond me, I'm sure someone does something similar to a zone rating in baseball (what is it with us and baseball references) but when you consider the players around him in the secondary and the rush he's somewhere in the middle of those stats really.  Crafty and a solid defender but not someone you put on man coverage vs a starting WR, or good TE.  He's a fallback you'd use for leverage, though if Williams had a good enough camp maybe he beats him out.  The key is they have to have options not to force you to draft one and try to start one early.  Hopefully they get that Nelson deal done quick, transition Iloka and when his agent sees the dream offers aren't coming then they get a deal done.  Cincy has a history of seeing contracts through, and he isn't a flash in the pan so slightly increase the guaranteed money and make it a four or five year deal with a bit lower base salary.   
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eric Weddle More concerned about winner than Money. - phil413 - 02-20-2016, 04:30 AM