Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Burfict: I'm Being Singled Out, I'll Have To Change
Fred I have to just disagree with you that Owners don't have influence. All the players you mentioned besides Talib won appeals and got their suspensions lowered. Talib didn't but he is a repeat offender who only got 1 game suspension for multiple offenses as a first suspension, then he got slapped on the wrist for his obvious one in front of the nation. Under the rules Goodell proposed he would have been ejected 5 minutes into the game. That doesn't translate to a 26k fine.

Truth is Owners do have influence. Some more than others. Mike Brown isn't one of them.

A lot of this is because of the media. The outrage caused Goodell to suspend Burfict in record time (2 days later), and then deny his appeal in record time (shows a complete lack of respect for the organization). The media didn't go all in on any of the Steeler players/coaches, they didn't slam Talib even after he admitted purposefully doing what he did. They didn't question the leagues lack of punishment for a repeat offender, even though the Burfict suspension was still fresh.

The narrative created that the Bengals were classless was done by the announcers that showed a lack of class by them (as well as favortism towards the Steelers) attacking Cincinnati fans as much as Cinci players throughout that broadcast. They made Burfict seem out of control, even though there was no signs on the sideline that he was being talked to and held back and out of control anymore than Hill and many other players who were emotional about the "unfortunate" hit that knocked Gio out. That all came from the announcers. Burfict wasn't out of control that game. Cameras didn't catch it, but it was a narrative created by the announcers. They defined that game as much as the players (and Steeler coaches) who played in it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burfict: I'm Being Singled Out, I'll Have To Change - jj22 - 02-23-2016, 03:56 PM