Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking down the Bengals cap situation
Oh, God, the rookie pool BS.  Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I checked Spotrac.  The estimated $36 million cap is for the top 51 and the dead space money.  The rookie pool is approx 7 million.  If they draft 7 rookies, let's assume all seven make the 53 man roster.  Players from the top 51 along with their salaries will be replace by the rookies and their rookie contracts.  

Hobson and Joe Banner make is seem like it is $36M - $7M = $29M cap space remaining.  It's not like that at all.  The rooke deals are replacing pre-existing deals already on the books.

The injury pool is an excuse not to spend money.  Jim, can you find out how much money the Bengals have actually spent from the injury pool?  I would be surprised if it were anything like they claim.  When was the last time the Bengals didn't roll over unused cap space?  Many players have split salaries in case of injury which reduces their cap hit.  Hobson and Banner don't mention split salaries. If they don't have the cap space they can renegotiate with a player to get into cap compliance.   Incentives; I remember Hobson explaining how the Bengals needed to plan for Keith Rivers incentives in the second year because he didn't earn them during his rookie season, yada, yada, yada.

Qualifying contracts for veteran players:  their cap charge is the same as a two year player.

Workout bonuses: Do they Bengals have 100% participation?  The NFL deducts the money from the teams and any unearned workout bonuses get returned to the team.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Breaking down the Bengals cap situation - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-04-2016, 05:37 AM