Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking down the Bengals cap situation
(03-04-2016, 11:16 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I seriously doubt Mike Brown is taking home $130M a year. My guess is that there have been years in the past where he's taken home less than his top players. I remember one year where he took out a personal loan so the team could pay the signing bonus for a player. If I remember correctly it was for Carl Pickens, but it could have been someone else.

Now the team is in better financial condition than it was when Mike Brown were deciding the draft picks [thank God], but it's still one of the lower income teams. Not as bad as say Jacksonville, which appears to be on life support until it can be sold and moved to London.

That $130m estimate would be pre-taxes and not counting signing bonuses and all that, but I refuse to believe he's made less than his top players. Revenue sharing prevents that from ever happening.

Every year you make little due to a lot of signing bonuses, you're getting it back in a different year, the salary cap makes sure of that.

For the 2010 and 2011 seasons, the Panthers' owner had $112m in profit after everything was paid for. The cap increases because the NFL's whole profit increases due to the 50/50 split, and the cap has raised $35m from 2011 to 2015. The owners are doing fine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Breaking down the Bengals cap situation - TheLeonardLeap - 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM