Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking down the Bengals cap situation
(03-04-2016, 01:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Thank you.  That is the salary cap accounting details which the Bengals never put out with the smoke and mirrors.

Let's say the Bengals draft a 1st round DT and release Peko.  Peko's cap savings would be roughly $3.5M +/-.  Right?  D.J. Humphrey was drafted 24th last year with rookie cap hit of $1.6M.

That's roughly, a ball park $2M cap savings (just to make the math easy for me.)  That cap savings will damn near cover the rest of your rookie pool, correct?  Please let me know if I'm wrong.  Thanks.

The 1st round pick generally displaces a below average salary on the team which costs more. Dj humphries was 24th overall last year and had a $1.6 salary cap hit.
The 2nd round pick also displaces a below average salary on the team and costs a little more. 54th overall selection Ameer Abdullah had a $755k salary cap hit.
Generally, from the 3rd round pick on, the added salary and the lost salary are a push. 86th overall pick David Johnson had a $595k salary cap hit.

Basically, the entire rookie class adds about $2.0 million to our salary cap, especially when drafting 24th overall.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Breaking down the Bengals cap situation - Bengalfan11164 - 03-04-2016, 09:40 PM