Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What does a successful government look like?
(03-05-2016, 10:40 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I can't answer this question without the context of the society. The perfect government for the US will always be different than the perfect government for France or Russia or Japan.

We just covered domestic policy and kids ask about things like universal healthcare and why we don't have it. The best thing I can say is "the United States has always been unique compared to Europe. Where most of Europe had a monarch or some other authoritarian leader and eventually evolved into a more democratic society, the US started off by breaking free of the rule of a monarch. We have always valued the individual and ensuring as much freedom as possible over protection or a safety net."

In a general sense, I guess I would say that the perfect government is one that maintains it's sovereignty, keeps its population safe, and follows the will of its population. How it does all of that will vary based on the society and what values they hold regarding government and power.

I'm glad you brought that up.
Are kids really taught the uniqueness of our founding? Or is telling the story of our founding viewed as American exceptionalism  and to be avoided like the plague?

What inspired our Founders. As you know the founders were influenced by people such as philospher John Locke who believed the duty of that government was to protect the natural rights of the people..life, liberty, property.
You mentioned authoritarian monarchies which were prevalent in Europe. The founders wanted none of that "Im the king, do as I say"  shit here....sorta like Obama.

The colonies evolving into individual states, with their own leaders (governors), legislators, laws and even their own military, and the concept of states rights.
The idea of a bunch of small countries (states) being united...and free from authoritarian rule.

The branches of the federal government...checks and balances, which nips in the bud authoritarian rule by one man or group. Obama has been able to get around that though.

All that stuff..that which makes America's founding and her Constitution the most unique and exceptional in the world. Are kids taught all that?

Messages In This Thread
RE: What does a successful government look like? - Vlad - 03-05-2016, 12:04 PM