Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What does a successful government look like?
So I have to admit that I often have a hard time with this question. I do still maintain that quality of life in a country is a huge indicator, to me, of how successful a government is. But, since those indices and the measures used for them are very subjective, it is hard to really use that in a firm way. But, to me, high quality of life, low government debt to GDP ratio. These things often don't go hand in hand, but several countries are on the track to reducing the debt ratio.

Some other things:

A military focused on defense is best. Whenever the issue of the 2nd comes up, I often like to talk about the intention of our founders with regards to the army. There was no intent for a standing army. Standing navy? Yes. I could make the argument for a standing air force given the nature of modern society. But the army was intended to be a part-time force, reservists.

Ideally, I would like much more autonomy left up to the states. Practically, in today's world this country is much smaller than its geography would have you believe. It's as hard to determine where to draw that line of perfect balance as it is to draw the line for economic harmony.

While I am in favor of a better infrastructure, I lack the pipe dreams of the European model. We are too spread out.

Lastly, a social welfare system that focuses on bettering the citizens, not supporting them. Even most disabled people are capable of some sort of employment, and education, training, job placement, that should be the focus. Supplemental income to help, yes, but they need to be weaned off and progress made towards independence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What does a successful government look like? - Belsnickel - 03-05-2016, 09:42 PM