Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What does a successful government look like?
(03-05-2016, 12:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: At this point, I would like to see our politicians work together for the good of the citizens they represent instead of a constant cycle of partisan politics whose goal is re-election, gaing a majority in both houses of Congress, and the Oval Office.  I like our government in principle, but it's the dickheads running it that are a major problem.  I don't think any reasonable person would want to be a politician in this political environment.  I think one has to be touched in the head to want the job.  Look at the current crop of Presidential candidates.  They're worse than the cast of Jersey Shore.  It's not just the politicians fault because we have become a populace that consumes Jersey Shore.  The same people who are pissed off for participation awards and the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality are the same ones that get pissed off if you don't accept American exceptionalism without evidence.  But, I've been to countries which are so much worse.

It takes a certain type of personality to run for high office, to be willing to go thorough all that.  Seems like this type of personality comes with a huge ego and all the other things that come with it. 

Power corrupts.   And even in the rare cases where an individual starts down that road with the best of intentions, the system in place quickly whips that out of you.

There was a Rep. from Cincinnati who spent a long time in Congress.  He eventually retired.  His son, who was a news anchor for a local Cincy tv station ran for his dad's seat and won.  After less than a year, he resigned because he couldn't stand what goes on in Congress.  It is not for everybody.

It's a combination of the two things--the system being what it has become and the type of individuals who pursue the career.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Messages In This Thread
RE: What does a successful government look like? - McC - 03-05-2016, 10:21 PM