Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random comments on our LB situation.
(03-10-2016, 08:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  We have one great LB and one other LB position that plays less than half of the snaps.  So we are only looking at one and a half positions that could be a problem.

2.  While our LBs are probably the weak link of our defense we still have a top five defense.  So they are not as bad as some people here claim.  In fact Lamur, who many people here claimed could be replaced by anyone off the street, just got $6 million for two years from defensive guru Mike Zimmer.

3.  Among the three main groups (DL, DB, LB) the DBs and D-line are more important.

4.  Maualuga is only making $3.7 million this year.

5.  We just paid Vinny Rey starter money, so I am thinking he will be our starting SAM.

6.  I'd like to see us use a high draft pick (first three rounds) on a LB, but the Bengals are not really "desperate" for a LB.

I think we definitely need to improve our Dline, LB, and secondary. I agree we have one great LB and the rest are either mediocre or unknown. If Dawson comes in and plays like he did in college that will help. Maualuga is much better when Burfict is playing so if Dawson indeed can come in then we should be better in that dept than we were last season, plus I'm hoping that Flowers/Luc/Roach will step up. When looking at the defensive positions you mentioned something stood out to me and that's our Dline and passrush or lack there of. We have two great players in Atkins and Dunlap, but outside of them nothing. Johnson is solid against the run, but not a dynamic pass rusher. Hardison/Williams are both unknowns. Peko stinks, Gilberry needs to be upgraded and Hunt/Clarke have proven nothing, we really need to add another pass rusher to help.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Random comments on our LB situation. - Crowe - 03-11-2016, 02:06 PM