Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misleading information about charitable organizations
(06-16-2015, 09:17 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: [Image: 10421183_10102229106684300_3932313921405...e=55EBD0B9]

I saw this in the political memes section.  Saw something similar on the defunct official board.  I wanted to discuss this without hijacking the other thread.

As SteelCitySouth already pointed out, this information is false.  It didn't come from Snopes as it suggests.  I am very suspicious of all alleged charitable organizations.  I don't donate to any phone solicitators telling them I was fooled once and I don't have the time or inclination to research their organization to find out if it is truly legitimate or just another scam taking advantage of people's charity.

My wife works at Goodwill.  Goodwill's main objective is job training.  Goodwill sells the donated goods to fund job training and job placement among other things (like free tax prep, etc.)  They do give grants, but that isn't their main focus.  Most of the people who need their assistance have had significant obstacles to overcome in life.  Goodwill does good work by people who genuinely care about others.  I do disagree with Goodwill's pay policy for employees with severe disabilities, but I hope false information like this chart wouldn't influence others not to donate to Goodwill.  I donate to Make a Wish, St. Jude's, Special Operations Warrior Foundation, and Goodwill. 

I don't understand why anyone would deliberately spread false information about charities like the author of that chart.

Messages In This Thread
Misleading information about charitable organizations - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 06-21-2015, 12:07 PM