Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Touch backs to the 25 and Tate
(03-23-2016, 12:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm not a fan of this change. Absolutely no need for it IMO.
They're just trying to "make the game safer" and make sure no one gets hurt.

Just another move towards eventual flag football.

It was ballsy to bring kickoffs out of the endzone as-is, which made it exciting to watch.
(03-23-2016, 01:52 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, absolutely hate the move. Was bad enough the last couple years, this is even worse. Whatever

To the OP, i doubt Tate makes the team if we bring in Lafell and a Draft pick. This takes lots of Tate's importance away
which was he was sure handed and an ok returner. He was not near as bad as some say but we could definately improve
the position. Adam, Alford, Lafell and hopefully a speedy Draft pick make Tate extremely expendable.
But we've said that in the past and somehow he always ends up making the team, making stupid decisions, being a horrible returner, and taking years off my life.

Maybe this is the year.

I would rather have a tired Adam out there after a series of defense than to watch Tate another down.
(03-23-2016, 03:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have read where this rule might actually increase returns. Pretty much Special teams were OK with giving you the 20, but not the 25. Kickers are going to be coached to put more air under the kick and have in fielded in the field of play.

I saw that, too:

Quote:Last season the NFL saw 41.1 percent of kickoffs returned. Expect that number to increase with the touchback being moved five yards forward.

I figured that had to be a misprint because why would you risk a return if you'd automatically get it at the 25?  Kickers could kick it inside the 5 if they made it higher, but kickoffs aren't as easy as punts to place exactly where you want or even get a lot of air under it.  Also, a returner could time it so he starts deep in the endzone, gets a jogging or running start, catches it on the run, and be full-speed (or close to it) when he catches it, making it a lot more difficult to cover.

Honestly, I don't see why they don't just take the kickoff out of the game, which would suck because it ruins an awesome part of the game, but I see it heading in that direction.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Touch backs to the 25 and Tate - Crowe - 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM
RE: Touch backs to the 25 and Tate - BFritz21 - 03-23-2016, 09:35 PM