Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Remodel/Addition Advice
Check in with your building permit office if applicable in your area. You will have to satisfy their requirements. Some districts require formal drawings,with an engineer's or architect's stamp.

Will your completed expansion require new siding for the entire structure? Is the existing wood, brick, or vinyl? If all new siding is desired, consider Hardiplank, as it's 90%Portland cement and your insurance company will rate your home as masonry construction, which reduces your premium and gives a stronger, and quieter home.

Are you on a 'city' sewer system, or do you have a septic system. Your expansion will require an upgrade IF you have a septic system (your county health department usually governs over this).

As already mentioned, you will need additional HVAC, which will require an upgrade in electrical service amperage, since your existing house most likely has a 100 amp panel. You will want a 200 amp service, with a sub-panel of 50 amp minimum for the garage.

Once you have finalized your design, you can save by buying your materials in 'package' form from your local Lowes/Home Depot etc and get a contractor's discount by working with the contractor sales manager/rep. And that person will likely have a list of contractors he normally deals with, to recommend for your project, in the event the contractors you now have don't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling. If your local supplier is well represented with a competent manager, he can be very useful in catching any lack of detail in your materials list. A good one can save you $ in labor if you provide your contractor a complete package. A lot of people will shy away from going this route, instead just using turnkey services from a local builder. This can be costly either way, especially in the residential construction business, which is historically the least professional. That's where your materials supplier can be helpful, along with the BBB, your banker, and surveyor. Don't hesitate to ask for references.

Don't overlook the cost of landscaping/lawn areas for your finished project, plus exterior lighting. And the driveway is sometimes an expensive surprise cost. And your insurance will increase.

As for geo-thermal, check with your utility company. When I did my last one, I got a 35% rebate which came in handy, since my particular installation was about double what a 'conventional' system would have been. WTS, my monthly utility cost was about half of conventional systems. However I only stayed at that house for a few years after completion, so I can't speak for the durability of the recirculating pumps or the water-sourced compressors. Water treatment for your system is recommended too, mainly for corrosion prevention.

Don't hesitate to ask for any additional info, as my career centered around design and construction for 35 years
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - Benton - 03-25-2016, 01:36 PM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - bfine32 - 03-25-2016, 01:56 PM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - bfine32 - 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - bfine32 - 03-25-2016, 02:33 PM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - Benton - 03-26-2016, 12:55 AM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - Benton - 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - bfine32 - 03-25-2016, 02:57 PM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - bfine32 - 03-25-2016, 03:01 PM
RE: Home Remodel/Addition Advice - xxlt - 03-26-2016, 04:23 PM