Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse shoulder replacement
Interesting topic, and I'm anxious to know the outcome.  But surgery is far too serious to seek recs from a message board, especially for someone in their 80's.  Seek a second, and possibly third, medical opinion. My guess is the physical therapy is designed to learn to function with the injury rather than real physical improvement (as you've described the injury). If that works and pain is limited, that's probably the best bet - even routine surgeries at that age (when you're put under) are to be avoided unless necessary.

My only question is I know they sometimes use cadaver ligaments/tendons in knee surgery, and I wonder if they don't do it for shoulders, as well.  But, again, given his age that's likely not an option.

Maybe search google for grafts.  I have no idea if it's a better first option, but it seems to me sewing the injured tendon and strengthening with a graft would be better than a joint replacement.  But I have no idea.

He's not looking to return to sports or even chopping wood, so whatever provides some strength and mostly complete ROM without pain would be a great outcome.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reverse shoulder replacement - fredtoast - 06-22-2015, 07:24 PM
RE: Reverse shoulder replacement - JustWinBaby - 06-22-2015, 09:14 PM