Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Obamas: Refusing to give in to the haters after years of threats and abuse
(04-03-2016, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am sure all presidents get threats.  

(04-03-2016, 08:07 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: This.....

Dubya got plenty.

(04-04-2016, 09:22 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I guess getting shot (Reagan) doesn't compare to having shots fired when you aren't even there.  It's amazing how people forgot the absolute vitriol thrown at W.

I believe the article is based on:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-new-dynamics-of-protecting-a-president-most-threats-against-obama-issued-online/2014/10/07/a525ef6c-4b11-11e4-891d-713f052086a0_story.html

Quote:During Obama’s first run for the presidency, the issue of clearest concern was his race, which made him a magnet for threats from people who thought it disqualified him from the office.

As Obama nears six years in the White House, the number of overtly racist threats have subsided but the threats in general continue. Today, the dominant theme of grievances against the president is government overreach, according to current and former Secret Service officials, as critics suggest Obama is abusing his power and trampling the Constitution.

Brian Leary, a spokesman for the Secret Service, said the agency has adjusted to the fact that most threats against the president now occur online.

“The capability is there, and we have to evolve with technology as well,” he said, adding that the number of threats against Obama “did spike a few months after the [2008] election, but they declined back to a level that is consistent with his predecessors, and they still are.”

Other sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, said Obama received triple the number of threats than previous presidents during his initial candidacy and first year in office. That number has declined significantly since then, they said, but is still elevated compared with Obama’s predecessors

The ability to "threaten" the POTUS is much easier now than in even 2008.

Now if you want to compare people making jokes about W vs ones about Obama...no doubt.  W was seen as dumb and people made fun of that at his expense.  But actual physical threats?  I bet Obama is well in front of him in that category.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Obamas: Refusing to give in to the haters after years of threats and abuse - GMDino - 04-04-2016, 09:43 AM