Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sikh U.S. Army captain allowed to wear beard, turban in uniform
First of all I think we can all agree that wearing a beard in the military is MUCH different from making political statements like burning flag or taking part in an anti-war protest.

I think we can also agree that an employer can restrict a person from smoking marijuana even in Colorado.

So we are basically down to "personal appearance". In this area I think the military should be like other employees that have dress codes. An employer is usually required to make reasonable exceptions based on religious beliefs. If the beard does not interfere with his ability to perform his duties then it should be allowed.

I think what bothers a lot of people is that military personnel are not allowed to wear christian trinkets with their uniform. But displaying a cross or crucifix is not required by the Christian religion. They can't see the difference between what Christian "wants" to do and what is "required" to do by his religion.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sikh U.S. Army captain allowed to wear beard, turban in uniform - fredtoast - 04-05-2016, 09:48 AM