Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sikh U.S. Army captain allowed to wear beard, turban in uniform
(04-05-2016, 04:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The environment of strict punishment must be present throughout the entire spectrum; it is a mentality that must be ingrained. Discipline is key and that goes all the way down to uniform standards. There is a Regulation that governs wear of the uniform and these strict guidlines must be followed or a breakdown in discipline can occur. Today it's wear your headgear of choice, tomorrow it's bring your own weapon.

Perhaps this Soldier's modified appearance does not effect readiness, but what if the Mormon advocates to wear white shirt, black pants, and black tie? Readiness is not effected

Your Mormon situation is irrelevant as that is not a requirement of their faith.

I guess I am just failing to see how someone being allowed to wear a beard when there have been, according to the article at the start, 100k exceptions for medical reasons alone already and a turban that we have seen can be worn in the same pattern as the uniform and I have seen in other articles can be made small enough to fit under a cap and/or helmet is going to cause any real breakdown in uniformity.

(04-05-2016, 04:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I disagree with you comparing serving in the armed forces with "any other" employment. How many other jobs are you going to be put in harms way today or maybe instructed to eliminate someone?

This isn't someone at McDonalds fighting against wearing the visor with the M on it.

Sorry to tell you, but the government is an employer, military included. They should be held to the same standards as every other employer. I don't give the government leeway in breaking their own laws. As for jobs that may put you in harms way, there are plenty of them out there. There are many jobs that require the type of cohesiveness that exists in the military in order for them to perform their jobs safely and effectively. They must all make those reasonable accommodations.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sikh U.S. Army captain allowed to wear beard, turban in uniform - Belsnickel - 04-05-2016, 04:46 PM