Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis
(04-07-2016, 04:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Zimmer took over a team that was one year removed from making the playoffs and had a losing season.

Gruden took over a team that was one year removed from making the playoffs and only won 4 games.

Marvin took over a team that had not had a winning record in 13 years and had a .500 season.

Only you would try to suggest Jay Gruden stepped into a good situation. LOL

The Redskins had made the playoffs in 1 of the previous 6 seasons, and that was mostly thanks to RGIII, who was in complete turmoil by the time Jay arrived. It was a total disaster. Jay inherited a broken locker room and a QB controversy. In contrast, Marv inherited the rights to the #1 overall pick (Carson Palmer) and a talented young roster with guys like Chad, TJ, Corey, Rudi, Willie, Braham, Levi, Justin Smith, Brian Simmons, etc etc.

Marv deserves credit for giving them direction, but the core of the roster came already built. Tbh, I think Marv gets far too much credit for building the current roster as well. AJ or Julio were the obvious picks at #4 in 2011. So no matter what we would've had a stud WR. Jay picked Andy Dalton. But I digress. I think it's highly debatable who walked into a worse situation.

As for Zimmer, the Vikings had double-digit losses in 3 of the previous 4 seasons under Leslie Frazier. They were weak at WR, had no QB (and no #1 overall pick), and their D ranked dead last in points allowed. I'd say Marv walked into a better situation than that, at least roster-wise. I do commend him for how well he's dealt with Mike though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis - Shake n Blake - 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM