Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis
(04-07-2016, 05:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Only you would try to suggest Jay Gruden stepped into a good situation. LOL

The Redskins had made the playoffs in 1 of the previous 6 seasons, and that was mostly thanks to RGIII, who was in complete turmoil by the time Jay arrived. It was a total disaster. Jay inherited a broken locker room and a QB controversy. In contrast, Marv inherited the rights to the #1 overall pick (Carson Palmer) and a talented young roster with guys like Chad, TJ, Corey, Rudi, Willie, Braham, Levi, Justin Smith, Brian Simmons, etc etc.

Marv deserves credit for giving them direction, but the core of the roster came already built. Tbh, I think Marv gets far too much credit for building the current roster as well. AJ or Julio were the obvious picks at #4 in 2011. So no matter what we would've had a stud WR. Jay picked Andy Dalton. But I digress. I think it's highly debatable who walked into a worse situation.

As for Zimmer, the Vikings had double-digit losses in 3 of the previous 4 seasons under Leslie Frazier. They were weak at WR, had no QB (and no #1 overall pick), and their D ranked dead last in points allowed. I'd say Marv walked into a better situation than that, at least roster-wise. I do commend him for how well he's dealt with Mike though.

I disagree that Jay walked into a QB controversy. He was hand picked to develop RG, not Kirk Cousins. Only he Quickly found out, as his predecessor did, that RG was not multidimensional.  Either way, that franchise was certainly a mess as the rumor goes, in large part because of RG. Jay's done a fine job for them but that division is whack. I honestly don't believe he'll last more than another coupla years there. If it weren't for Cousins being competent, I'd say Jay would already be in danger. 

Mike Zimmer is a fine coach. Not surprised he's had success. 

Marvin's done some nice things here and although some draft choices were more obvious than others, he gets some credit for finding some decent players even some all pros. 

This organization was in as much dysfunction as any have ever been when Marvin took over. We haven't had to wear bags over our head in many years. Even when our all world QB 'retired'. You can say Jay chose Andy but that decision at some point had to be approved by Marvin, at least initially. Because I guarantee that without his approval, no way Mike Brown doesn't go after that other QB he wanted. 

Maybe no other coach would get as many chances to rebuild a team like Marvin has, but he's answered the call each time. By my estimation, he's (re)built this team 3 times. 

In case it hasn't been posted, someone in the FO said that the OP was bunk. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis - Devils Advocate - 04-08-2016, 10:37 AM