Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should this journalist be fired?
(04-08-2016, 11:14 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/08/surprising-no-one-white-man-beats-black-woman-to-become-final-american-idol-winner/?wpisrc=nl_az_most

Should this white apologist journalist be fired for stereotyping American Idol winners as low talent guitar carrying white males? Dismissed for stating there was racism in a contest voted on by anyone who wanted to vote? Is this really any different than the female reporter who was fired in Pittsburgh who was fired for her racial comments, when this is an obvious attempt to incite racism where there is none? I believe someone stated reporters should know to stick to facts ( which was news to me ) and should be aware of the backlash that could occur from them making generalizations and stereotypes? Or does being a journalist for the Washington Post make it all good?

Well, as has been mentioned, this is an opinion piece published after being vetted by the publisher in reaction to social media about a reality show.

The other was published on a page attached to her employer without their knowledge in which she assumed the entire life story of  a suspect (that had not been named yet) in a murder.

So....exactly the same?

What if we went over social media post of everyone who posts on this board?  Should they be banned for having a racist/supremacist opinion? The mods control who is allowed to post here.  They are the "bosses" and can say if something goes beyond their rules of conduct.  It is much closer to the Pittsburgh story:  We post, they react.

Back when the Bengals actually ran this board it was more like the story you shared.  if one of their employees did something they disapproved of without their knowledge they could/would fire them.

So, no.  Unless they had no idea what was being published.

Oh, and I didn't think Bell should have been fired either...but it is not the same as this story.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should this journalist be fired? - GMDino - 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM