Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis
(04-08-2016, 02:06 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: No, I agree with what you and OB say. I just don't really think 'QB controversy' accurately describes the situation to what Jay walked into. I guess it's just my contrarian nature. 

I give Marvin credit for turning this franchise around regardless of who he had on the roster. I can't say things woulda been different if any other coach were hired. I do know how things were right up to the point Marvin first stepped onto the field. For that, I don't see how he doesn't deserve credit. So for me, that counts as 1 build.

Around 08/09 I give him credit for a rebuild because this team was falling apart. I realize many may not agree. But at least agree that despite all the chaos in those days, Marvin managed to hold it together and even squeeze into the playoffs a coupla times. Yeah there was still talent on the roster but looking back at it its a wonder the wheels didn't fall completely off, like they eventually did. 

I don't know, I just think those few years were crazy and he managed to keep it together, so That's 2.  

Of course he gets credit for This 3rd and our current era. 

Obviously I don't totally agree, but I respect your opinion. I think this last reboot is the one he deserves the most credit for, but even then, I think a lot of people give too much credit to Marv and not enough to those around him. Tobin deserves a lot of praise for finding gems like Atkins, MJ, Iloka and Marv Jones in later rounds. 

And as I pointed out, I think the Bengals started drafting better before Marv arrived. I just don't think the turnaround should be 100% credited to Marv. Think about this: we hired Duke Tobin in 1999. By 2003, we really started seeing the benefits of his first few drafts.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis - Shake n Blake - 04-09-2016, 12:34 PM