Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis
(04-11-2016, 02:30 AM)BengalChris Wrote: For one thing Marvin had to get Mikey B to change his ways. I assure you that did not happen over night.

Remember, Mikey over ruled Bruce Coslet and rejected New Orleans trade offer for Ricky Williams so he could draft one year wonder Akili Smith. That was less than four years before the Bengals hired Marvin Lewis.

Mikey had a long, long history of bad, bad football decisions from drafts to free agency to player relations to grading his coaches, and he behaved more like someone who buries their head in the sand and hopes for best when facing a hurricane.

I'm impressed that Marv got him to change at all. No one did before him.

All of that said, I've grown impatient.

Marvin changing Mike has been the narrative all these years, but none of us really know what goes on behind the scenes.

Fwiw, Duke Tobin was hired in '99 took his current role in 2002. You could argue that this was the biggest move Mike made. Our 2001 draft is still possibly the best we've ever had and it really set Marv up nicely. Add in the no-brainer selection of Carson Palmer and Marv had a nice collection of players to start with.

I'm not saying Marv deserves no credit, but sometimes I think Tobin doesn't get enough. Our success has completely coincided with Tobin serving that quasi-GM role.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/2/24/11099216/duke-tobin-doesnt-need-gm-title-to-know-his-worth-with-bengals
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis - Shake n Blake - 04-11-2016, 12:57 PM