Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis
(04-12-2016, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Lets face the fact that since Dalton arrived the Bengals have been one of the top 6-7 teams in the league while Dalton has not been that highly rated as a QB over that stretch.

And the fact that Palmer finally won one playoff game at age 36 does not suddenly mean that Marvin was a bad coach 12 years ago.

Meh, Palmer got 2 legit shots at a playoff win and got to the conference championship at the age of 36.  Marvin Lewis has had 7 chances (maybe 6 if you consider losing Palmer as a hopeless situation in 2005) and he's never even lucked his way past the wild card round.  One time in 7 tries we came "close" to winning, so there is that.

Bruce Arians got more out of a short window, post-second ACL tear 36 year old Palmer than Marvin got out of the guy when he was a no-brainer #1 overall pick in his prime.  Then again, other than 2005 Palmer has only flirted with relevance when he has an offensive-minded HC in Hue and Arians, so maybe that just has that much more of an impact for him.  

Do I think Marvin is a bad coach?  Well, who knows...but I think he's got some pretty obvious flaws BUT he's operating under a less then ideal owner and pulling double-duty as a pseudo-GM so what can you do?  I do think it is fair to see Palmer and Dalton's long-term viability in the NFL as a knock against Marvin given his lack of post-season success.  Additionally, I would bet my left nut that Marvin wouldn't have done a thing with any of the QBs Lebeau and Coslet had to implement. Toss in the scenario where we don't have Jay Gruden talking Mikey out of drafting Krapernick or Mallllettt and you have another argument that Marvin barely dodged disaster.

So, this isn't a Dalton vs. Palmer thing so much as me "wondering" why a team that has 2 decent QBs over a span of 13 years can't break through an obvious ceiling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with Marvin Lewis - Nately120 - 04-12-2016, 12:35 PM