Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis and Bengals agree on contract extension
(04-12-2016, 12:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In other words, he's not good enough to earn a 3 year extension, but is good enough to be given 3 one year extensions?  Confused

I guess it all boils down to what criteria the front office is using. If having good regular seasons and making the playoffs is 'good enough'...then I understand allowing your HC to continually fail in the playoffs and rewarding him with extension after extension. 

However, if actually winning playoff games and making a legit SB run is the criteria...then the continued extensions after playoff failures makes little sense, at least in my opinion.

I don't have any doubts that Mike, Katie and the gang would like to have postseason success and play in a SB. But, given how they've handled Marvin...I also have to believe that they're perfectly content (at least to some degree) with just being 'good enough'. Otherwise, you wouldn't let your HC become the standard bearer in playoff futility and not only keep him around, but reward him with more time.

Or...maybe they're just firm believers in the philosophy that "good things come to those who wait...and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait".   Mellow

Or maybe they know exactly how hard it is to have the success that Marvin has enjoyed over the last 5 seasons and don't see a better option to sign instead of him.

It is to roll the dice on an unknown HC when your team sucks, but when you are as close to success as the Bengal are it is much harder to throw that away on a random chance of getting better.

Some people around here act like they would be "happier" if we tried and failed, but they are liars.  If we fire Marvin and then miss the playoffs they will be bitching and moaning just like always.  Not a single one will be saying "I am so happy we missed the playoffs because at least we tried to get better."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin Lewis and Bengals agree on contract extension - fredtoast - 04-12-2016, 01:28 PM