Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marvin Lewis and Bengals agree on contract extension
(04-14-2016, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is my point exactly.

The Bengals are in a unique situation so you can't just make a blanket statement about what every other team would do.  I am willing to admit this, but many of the Marvin haters are not.

Instead they all think they are so perfect and their opinion is so infallible that it is impossible for any other person to disagree with them.  My ego is pretty big, but I would never be so arrogant to suggest that anyone who disagreed with me did not care about winning.

We ALL care about winning.  We just disagree on what the best strategy is to help us win the most.  The only people here who can play the "You don't want to win" card is a person who has been a GM of a Super Bowl champion team.

Everyone here is allowed to disagree.  NO ONE should be allowed to accuse other people of not wanting to win.

And it is absurd to suggest that the Bengals are winning so many games without even trying to win.

There's no doubt that the Bengals situation is pretty unique (although not necessarily in a good way), as it relates to Marvin and NFL historical comparisons, as I tried to point out earlier in this thread. 

Only 4 head coaches in the entire history of the NFL reached 6 straight playoffs losses. Marty was fired after his 6th loss and never coached in the NFL again. Mora coached one more season after his 6th loss and never coached again. Steve Owen coached 3 more season (never making the PO's again), but had already been there for 20 years when his lost his 6th. 

And now Marvin's situation is truly unique, because no other head coach in the history of the NFL has ever lost 7 straight playoff games, or had 5 consecutive one and done's. Marvin has set new standards in terms of playoff failure. That's not an opinion or a skewing of comparisons, that's a very unfortunate reality.

Now that Marvin has 13 seasons and 7 playoff opportunities on his record, I think we can all agree that he's had the most success in the last 5 years. These are the years that are pointed to most often...5 consecutive winning seasons and playoff appearances. I think it's fair, if we want to evaluate what Marvin has done in recent years, to compare his results to those that are similar in the same time period. 

Over the last 5 years, the top 5 teams in terms of regular season success combined with playoff appearances are the Patriots, Packers, Broncos, Bengals and Seahawks. Of these five teams, only the Bengals failed to win a playoff game during that stretch. While the other 4 teams translated regular season success into 6 SB appearances and a multitude of playoff victories...Marvin and the Bengals were setting NFL records for playoff ineptness. Again, this is not opinion, this is a very unfortunate fact.

If we aren't able to compare Marvin and the Bengals to their peers, who have had the similar regular season success and playoff appearances during the last 5 years, then I'm not sure how you ever honestly evaluate them. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Marvin Lewis and Bengals agree on contract extension - Bengalholic - 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM