Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viral video reignites corporal punishment school debate
(04-20-2016, 09:02 AM)Au165 Wrote: It is interesting. As you pointed out, later in life you didn't even need to reference physical pain as a way to get them to correct their behavior. My issue with spanking is how can you tell a kid as they grow up, don't hit someone just because they don't do what you want.....then hit them for not doing what you want them to do. I just think it sends a sometimes confusing message to kids. Like you said, I know people who spank and their kids are complete A**holes and they just have to keep spanking away. I know ones who don't spank and their kids are fine. I don't think casual observations by any of us show one works better than the other. I think both routes work, it's just a matter of how you want to approach it.

And that is why I seldom if ever criticize another parent's "style" of parenting.  All I can do is judge the outcome.

(04-20-2016, 10:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To me there is ONE big rule to corporal punishment, and it is harder to follow than many want to admit.

Most of the time when a child has done something bad enough that you feel they need a spanking you are very angry.  And the worst thing you can do is spank a child when you are in a rage.  The only way corporal punishment will work properly is if you are able to do it in a cool and controlled manner.  Otherwise you are just sending the message that it is okay to hit someone when you lose tour temper.

The child has to be able to see the difference between "punishment to enforce legitimate rules" and "hitting someone when you get mad".  And this is where most parents fail when it comes to corporal punishment.

The last time I spanked my daughter I was angry.  And I felt very bad about it because I was angry.  But I whenever I tell that story I look back and realize I showed immense control up to that point AND after.  

And she knows she deserved it!  LOL!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Viral video reignites corporal punishment school debate - GMDino - 04-20-2016, 10:44 AM