Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate Flag Misunderstood?
(06-24-2015, 02:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Let's not even address the point I made earlier about the differences in the reasons for independence. I would argue there is a huge difference between colonies and states were admitted into a federal union. I also think we can see the difference when we compare the efforts put forth to regain these lost territories. Britain essentially decided it wasn't worth it to try to keep 13 of their 27 plus New World colonies (might be off, but there were 20 alone in North America).

We can also look at the argument of foreign recognition.

Differences in reason? They are very much the same, to be quite honest. A government that they felt was not representing them at best, oppressing them at worst. There is a difference between colonies and states, but that does nothing to negate the claims and in fact would bolster those that saw actions by the federal government as an affront to their sovereignty and rights given as there was an agreement to guarantee them. As for the efforts, it was less costly for the fight to be maintained with the lack of the Atlantic, the improvement of transportation methods, and of course since the war lasted half as long.

As for the lack of recognition there were a number of contributing factors, not the least of which being the lack of success on the battlefield which just goes back to the idea that if they had been able to peacefully secede that would not have been as much of an issue because even though the anti-slavery sentiment hurt their cause, the perceived inability to sustain independence was the biggest reason they were hesitant.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confederate Flag Misunderstood? - Belsnickel - 06-24-2015, 03:37 PM