Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate Flag Misunderstood?
(06-24-2015, 03:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Differences in reason? They are very much the same, to be quite honest. A government that they felt was not representing them at best, oppressing them at worst. There is a difference between colonies and states, but that does nothing to negate the claims and in fact would bolster those that saw actions by the federal government as an affront to their sovereignty and rights given as there was an agreement to guarantee them. As for the efforts, it was less costly for the fight to be maintained with the lack of the Atlantic, the improvement of transportation methods, and of course since the war lasted half as long.

As for the lack of recognition there were a number of contributing factors, not the least of which being the lack of success on the battlefield which just goes back to the idea that if they had been able to peacefully secede that would not have been as much of an issue because even though the anti-slavery sentiment hurt their cause, the perceived inability to sustain independence was the biggest reason they were hesitant.

I can call compulsory schooling "oppressive". Hell, St. Lucifer just called allowing trans people into bathrooms "oppressive". Doesn't mean we can't actually look at the differences in what they're calling oppressive. Big difference between "the federal government won't let me own men anymore" versus "the King is refusing to let us pass laws during times of immediate crisis and disbanded all of our legislatures.".

And I'm sure the British and French would have recognized the Confederacy if it was in their best interest, but the fact that they were never recognized versus the fact that the revolution was openly supported by many world powers is huge.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confederate Flag Misunderstood? - BmorePat87 - 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM