Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motorcycles....
The first thing I recommend for someone wanting to learn is look for a class from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation http://www.msf-usa.org/. I know people who have ridden for more than 20 years come away from those classes saying they learned from it and it was worth the time and money (differing amounts depending on availability in your area). The first portion is classroom training then they take you out to the course on small 125 and 250cc "scooters".

Speaking of "scooters", if you want the social aspect get a minimum engine size at or above whatever people consider to be scooters instead of bikes these days (last I knew it was 500). However, if you don't care about that at all, the Honda Rebel is a great machine.

If you rode bikes a lot when you were young, you'd be surprised how fast you pick up on handling a motorcycle. If you have experience with a stick shift car that will also help in learning.

The MSF class I went to one of the instructors said you weren't and experienced rider until you have put up 10,000 miles in his opinion. I know I stayed away from interstates for more than just one exit to the next until I had 2000 miles. I could see doing your first bit of learning just in your neighborhood but you aren't going to get much real experience there after you can do things like handling a corner at 30 or more safely.

Last bit of advice. I have heard 2 ways of saying the same thing. Ride as if you are invisible to drivers in cars. Ride as if everyone is TRYING to kill you. The thing you will find when people know you ride is a lot of people will feel the need to tell you of someone they knew who died on a motorcycle. All of these stories I heard except one had one of 2 things or both in common. Either someone else didn't see them or the rider was doing something stupid. Both of these are in your control by way of safe riding. If you ride like you are invisible YOU see someone who may not see you and can be prepared for them to do the worst thing possible. If you get drunk and go out popping wheelies you're asking for trouble. It sounds like you are the type who will ride smart but this paragraph is worthy of stating.

Oh, and don't be offended if another biker doesn't give you the biker salute (left hand away from the body but down low with the palm toward the passing biker as if you are trying to give a "low five", I haven't ridden for more than 2 years and I still do that out of habit).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Motorcycles.... - PDub80 - 04-21-2016, 07:23 PM
RE: Motorcycles.... - Penn - 04-21-2016, 08:20 PM
RE: Motorcycles.... - bfine32 - 04-21-2016, 08:46 PM
RE: Motorcycles.... - Sabretooth - 04-22-2016, 10:58 AM
RE: Motorcycles.... - CKwi88 - 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM
RE: Motorcycles.... - fredtoast - 04-22-2016, 12:12 PM
RE: Motorcycles.... - Wyche'sWarrior - 04-22-2016, 01:24 PM
RE: Motorcycles.... - PDub80 - 04-22-2016, 09:36 PM
RE: Motorcycles.... - Bengalzona - 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM