Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Since Jeremy Hill came into the league. . .
(04-26-2016, 02:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Some smaller backs can be more effective than larger guys running up the middle because they can hit the hole quicker.  But the smaller guys just can't run up the middle 15-20 times a game.

Plus Gio is not really small.  5' 9" 205 is actually kind of thick.

Nobody runs it up the middle 15-20 times a game. Last year Peterson ran it up the middle 108 times. In Bell's big 2014 season he ran it up the middle 77 times. Lynch in 2014 ran it up the middle 99 times. I think Gio could survive doing it 5-6 times a game.

You're right on him being kind of thick though. Gio is in pretty much the exact same body mold of Ray Rice (5'8, 206). People just get too enamored by the whole overused "Thunder and Lightning!" thing. Maurice Jones-Drew was 5'7, 210. Those two both had stretches where they were among the best starting RBs in the NFL. I don't think size is an issue for Gio.

I think the biggest problem Gio has is the Bengals simply only understand one kind of RB. Rudi (225 lbs)/Benson (227 lbs)/BJGE (220 lbs)/Hill (235 lbs). Hand them the ball, run for 3 yards, do it again. If you break an occasional big run, it's a bonus. Same reason why the rest of the NFL is getting lighter faster LBs and the Bengals have a love for the older style 245-255lb type LBs. (Hint: This is why they can't cover TE or pass catching RB.)

If Gio played for the Pats or Saints, I still think he'd be listed among the better RB in the NFL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Since Jeremy Hill came into the league. . . - TheLeonardLeap - 04-26-2016, 05:07 PM