Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate Flag Misunderstood?
(06-25-2015, 04:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have a lot of German in my ancestry as well, and I also wouldn't fly the Nazi flag. Mostly because that is not the current flag and was not the flag when my ancestors were there.

The lack of equation is why it's a good choice, to me, for those that are looking to honor the sacrifice and the history. It hasn't been snagged by hate groups and so doesn't receive the animosity. The issue is now becoming that there are groups out there trying to sanitize the south of any Confederate related monuments and memorials. Not saying everyone against the battle flag is that way, but these groups are using this argument to bolster their side. Let me tell you, though, it's creating a lot of animosity in some areas.

My wife is a die hard liberal. Like, women's college feminist with a BA and MA in English liberal. She is all about being inclusive and all about the privilege stuff and ending racism and all of that. It's really quite funny when compared with me because I am still quite the country boy at heart. Anyway, even she has been getting pissed off about this issue with people trying to sanitize this stuff. I mean, we were discussing it last evening and she got all sorts of riled up. This is the history of these people and they collectively have a very long memory. It's what makes it interesting for me as a northern transplant that grew up here. I get to see both sides. My family during the time (that was here) were either in the North or they were pacifists. So I don't have a dog in the ancestor fight like my wife (who would qualify for DAR and UDC both) but I grew up in an area rich with the history of it all. So I've been able to understand the issues and both sides in a way most people don't.

I guess we're going to disagree here.  I get southern pride I really do, however I feel like it's just time to let that part of our dark history go and not celebrate it with the flag that symbolizes it.  It really was a tragic war for both sides.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Confederate Flag Misunderstood? - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM