Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Problem With Caitlyn Jenner Posing Nude For SI
(05-06-2016, 12:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Pretty sure she was seen as a hero for decades for her athletic achievements and philanthropy. I think some don't see her anymore as one because of her transition. 

I can say that she isn't seen as a hero for her transitioning by many in the trans community, but I don't think anyone can take away decades of achievements simply because she's trans.

(05-06-2016, 12:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Like I just said, if we're talking about Jenner's athletic achievements, then I won't argue the point. I personally don't put much stock into sports figures as heroes, but I understand the sentiment.

I'm speaking from the thought that she's a hero for being a trans.

Here's my problem with her being considered a hero for being public with her transition: she's rich (net worth in excess of $100 million) and that income is expected to multiply at least a few times during the course of this.

I agree with some that it puts more pressure on her because she's famous, but at the same time, it takes off so much. That kind of money buys you a lot of separation between your problems and the real world. A normal person going through that doesn't have the same luxury.

Anecdotal story: A coworker of a relative was transgender. She was married to a guy. They'd been together several years. Before she left that place of employment, she talked about how she had to continually change jobs because within a year or less, it always came out that she had been born a man. Sometimes places were cool with it, sometimes they acted like PnR posters.

She faced insults, odd looks and harassment on a daily basis. Jenner does, too, but he can turn off the television or unplug his Twitter feed and be done with it. She doesn't have to get up on a Monday and know she's walking into a smart ass comment, but doesn't have a choice because she's got a car payment to make.

The other part of that, Jenner is accepting money for speaking engagements, the tv series (that alone was $5-6 million which more than covered the cost of surgery), etc. I can't call anyone a hero when they're making significant money off of it. Cops, soldiers, firefighters, nurses, teachers — those people sacrifice not just their safety and time, they also give up their chance to have a big bank account.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Problem With Caitlyn Jenner Posing Nude For SI - Benton - 05-06-2016, 03:24 PM