Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swiss to vote on basic income benefit
(05-06-2016, 12:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: The poverty level in Switzerland is 2300 for singles so this would at least put you over the poverty level, but barely. What is interesting is the poverty level for two people and two kids is 4800, however this would provide 6,500. The thing here with the median salary of someone in the communications sector only being 8500 Gross you could argue a family of four, who only a single person works, would almost be as well off with no one working.

(05-06-2016, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yes that's the gross amount, versus the 6500 tax free. Not sure if the culture there has many single working parent households, but in what I laid out they are basically even between not working and working.

Not really, they would have much to lose by not working at all.  If that median communication worker salary is 8500, and they are the head of a household of 4, then the first 6500 of that income is tax exempt, leaving only 2000/mo subject to taxation.  The taxation on that 2000, even using the highest percentage (13%) is 260/mo that they would pay in tax.  So, by not working, they would lose out on 1740/mo in income.  Which is substantial.

Also, it may surprise a few of you to learn the idea that not everyone aspires to get paid for doing nothing.  A good many people actually take pride in having a livelihood, and paying their own way in life.  Those type of people really don't want to be a burden to their respective tax base.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23

Messages In This Thread
RE: Swiss to vote on basic income benefit - SunsetBengal - 05-06-2016, 04:31 PM