Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Problem With Caitlyn Jenner Posing Nude For SI
(05-06-2016, 03:24 PM)Benton Wrote: Here's my problem with her being considered a hero for being public with her transition: she's rich (net worth in excess of $100 million) and that income is expected to multiply at least a few times during the course of this.

I agree with some that it puts more pressure on her because she's famous, but at the same time, it takes off so much. That kind of money buys you a lot of separation between your problems and the real world. A normal person going through that doesn't have the same luxury.

Anecdotal story: A coworker of a relative was transgender. She was married to a guy. They'd been together several years. Before she left that place of employment, she talked about how she had to continually change jobs because within a year or less, it always came out that she had been born a man. Sometimes places were cool with it, sometimes they acted like PnR posters.

She faced insults, odd looks and harassment on a daily basis. Jenner does, too, but he can turn off the television or unplug his Twitter feed and be done with it. She doesn't have to get up on a Monday and know she's walking into a smart ass comment, but doesn't have a choice because she's got a car payment to make.

The other part of that, Jenner is accepting money for speaking engagements, the tv series (that alone was $5-6 million which more than covered the cost of surgery), etc. I can't call anyone a hero when they're making significant money off of it. Cops, soldiers, firefighters, nurses, teachers — those people sacrifice not just their safety and time, they also give up their chance to have a big bank account.

Agreed. She has had a lot of resources that many do not. Like I said, there's a reason why many in the trans community aren't proclaiming her a hero and are often insulted by the notion that she is a leader or face of the group. 

I see why many considered her a hero in the 70's and 80's. Is she courageous? Certainly. More so than others who have transitioned or done other things that are considered courageous? Of course not. 

Does this issue even matter? Hell no. I'm not sure why anyone is upset that SI is putting a former athlete on their cover with that athlete's accolades on display. Now feel free to make "on display" jokes. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Problem With Caitlyn Jenner Posing Nude For SI - BmorePat87 - 05-07-2016, 10:39 AM