Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too many white people in top national security positions
(05-14-2016, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And you are pointing to the bigger problem that I alluded to, in an earlier post.  It is about family values, living in a home where people actually work for a living, striving to rise above the current status.  This happens much easier in a two parent home, where the parents make a unified front to discourage the temptations of street life and "easy money". 

My wife used to teach school in Charleston WV, in a not so nice section of town.  Her average class was 80-90% minority.  The vast majority of those being single parent homes.  According to her, the biggest problem with getting those kids to succeed in class, was getting the mothers to get on board with their kids buying into "traditional society", i.e. education taking them above their current existence, working for a living having actual merit in life, etc. 

I'm all for a minimum living salary.  I just feel like the person should do something of value to productive society to earn it, rather than simply get handed money for doing nothing of value.  There are plenty of occupations that folks could contribute to, regardless of life situation.  If you are able bodied, you can do physical work.  If you're a single mom, you are given a laptop and data entry training.  Jobs like that can be done at any hour, when the kids are sleeping or at school.  See my point?
I feel like you're going in two directions here. I may just not be following.

At the start it seems like we're talking about education, but then you move on to a welfare kind of thing.

What I'm referring to is more the need to expose young people to a variety of subjects, regardless of race or income. That's more difficult to do in poorer income districts because of the way most states fund education.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Too many white people in top national security positions - Benton - 05-14-2016, 11:58 PM