Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More than just a cliché, the locker-room impact of veterans
Thanks for the compliment!

You hit on two things there:
1. Yes, press conferences tend to be like that. Honestly, they're mostly for TV and radio. I try to get the good stuff elsewhere.
2. Your point on veteran signings:
This is only my second year around the team, and first true offseason (my year anniversary was just before the draft). But I knew Hawk from my days in Green Bay and knew he would be absolutely perfect in the role he was asked to play. And he was. I learned quickly that Leon Hall would handle his situation perfectly, much to our frustration (meaning he politely declined every interview request after training camp). Adam Jones and Darqueze Dennard still talk to Newman as well. Immediate first impressions is that Dansby seems like a good fit (along these lines) as well. I have heard Harrison was a good locker room vet as well at the time. So I do think that yes, there is something to "washed up" if you want to be that cynical - Hawk and Dansby (and most thought Harrison) were well past their primes. They were/are. But some care has been put into why they WERE signed and how they can positively affect the locker room while contributing when called up on physically.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: More than just a cliché, the locker-room impact of veterans - jowczarski - 05-18-2016, 08:51 PM