Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today, May 17, 2016: International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia
(05-18-2016, 03:35 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The term homophobia has changed beyond the root meaning of "phobia". Even Websters defines it as including discrimination or hate.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homophobia

As for point 2, I would not say that either has a mental illness. However, why is it ok to denounce hatred over denouncing being gay or being trans? The same reason why it's ok to denounce racism or hatred/discrimination against religions. It's behavior that most decent people would find unacceptable in society. We should work to accept others. Sure, that's just my view, but it's one I'll defend as morally superior to advocating for the denial of civil liberties to others.

First off, no it doesn't. Check your link again. It doesn't mention hate anywhere near the definition. Secondly, based on the wording (and you know dictionaries are very careful with their wording), it's the irrational discrimination of said group.

Lastly, and more importantly, the issue is with people's minds. You have one group of people that are messed up in the head (to put it in layman's terms) and you have another group of people that are messed up in the head in a different way. Why is it okay to be intolerant and hateful towards one of them but not the other?

Answer: because one has become a socially acceptable group of messed up in the head people AND it's socially acceptable to belittle the other group. You might think that's okay, but may I remind you that at one point in time, not only was homosexuality not socially acceptable in this country but it was also socially acceptable to belittle them, to out them, to make their lives miserable, and to even physically abuse them. So for those of you castigating those who do not accept trans people as being unworthy of special rights, you are exactly the same as the homophobe/transphobe you criticize.

Clarification: I'm not talking about those that truly do hate homosexuals and trans people. They are worthy of your derision and more. I'm speaking of those that are called homophobes simply for having an opposing opinion. They treat ALL others with respect but simply disagree with various *****/trans issues and yet they are unduly criticized as homophobes and transphobes.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Today, May 17, 2016: International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia - PhilHos - 05-19-2016, 11:56 AM