Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion
(05-20-2016, 10:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: There are already laws for frivolous lawsuits where judges determine what a waste of time is. This law goes directly in the face of a legal precedent that is already set at the highest level. It is pretty easy to see that if abortions are legal, making providing an abortion illegal is not going to stand. This whole game legislatures are playing where they think they can "out semantics" the courts is embarrassing.

So the difference is that (in theory) the legislature is acting in the interest of their constituency, which is a lot different than a lawsuit brought because you hurt yourself with a product because of your own stupidity or something. I get what you're saying, and I agree it is embarrassing, but I don't feel like this would be a rabbit hole we would want to go down. We are in a republic and legislatures are our elected representatives. Like their decisions or not, taking away their ability to attempt things like this actually reduces the power of the representatives branch of our government and thus the people.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oklahoma Legislature passes bill criminalizing abortion - Belsnickel - 05-20-2016, 11:30 AM