Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay marriage ruling about to come down
(06-27-2015, 02:03 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: There is ample proof that "most" anyone who sincerely want to overcome hardship in this country can.  That's what is so great about America:  plenty of dirt poor people have become success stories.

Even his story is admirable, given that he grew up in the racist south.  Do you really think Clarence Thomas would have ended up working at McDonalds if he didn't receive help from a family member?  Did his uncle also help him with his course work at an Ivy League school?  

The left loves to make "Uncle Toms" of any black person that strays from the black monolithic group think that says we are all victims of the white establishment.  I find it patronizing and racists in and of itself:  whites are free to have varying opinions but the first black to say something contrary gets labeled a "race traitor".  Although, I completely disagree with his opinion on this issue, I don't think it makes him a "Tom" for saying it.   

Thomas may very well have been forced to drop out of school and work to support the family if he had not been taken in by a well-to-do relative.  Or he may have been forced to attend a "black" high school that did not have the resources to allow him to take full advantage of his academic abilities.

I am not saying Thomas didn't work hard.  But the fact is that he had advantages that many others in his position did not posses.  He was given a place to live and got the chance to attend a white high school.

A man with his brains and work ethic probably would not have ended up in poverty, but there is a good chance he would not have gone to Yale and become a Supreme Court Justice.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gay marriage ruling about to come down - fredtoast - 06-27-2015, 02:12 PM