Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Eifert to have ankle surgery
(05-26-2016, 12:45 AM)jowczarski Wrote: oncemoreuntothejimbreech - we may one day know exactly what happened. In my story about Dennard's issues, he's the one who told me what happened. Now, he's the athlete. Could it have been a dislocation? Sure. But he said separation. So that's what I reported.
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/02/03/cincinnati-bengals-darqueze-dennard-shoulder-injury/79767130/

That goes into what Hobson wrote initially about a "sprain." I'm sure that was the original diagnosis - a sprained ankle he rolled and stretched the ligaments. Clearly the team and Eifert felt that, while a severe sprain, it would heal. It has not.

As far as teams in general lying about injuries -- they'd rather just not talk about them. And the Bengals at least try to avoid putting a timeline out there because that's always speculative. Nothing changed from my initial report of a three month recovery to Schefter's "multiple game" scenario. Yes, he could miss multiple games. But, they anticipate him being back working out after three months. So that's probably the front and back end of the window they're looking at. No one said officially Andy "would" be back at any point. They only didn't rule him out. There's a difference. Splitting hairs? Truth by omission?

Honestly it's not worth speculating on what a "loose ligament" is, where it is, what procedures are available. We'll try to find out more, but we can only go with what we're told by the people we trust.

When people hear "ankle sprain" most think of a grade I or II which most heal in 2-4 or 4-6 weeks, respectively.  A grade III ankle sprain involves a complete ligament rupture.  The ligament has been torn completely from bone. (An ACL tear is a complete ligament rupture in the knee, for comparison.)  Most of them heal without surgery, but not always.  Depending on how aggressive the orthopedist is and the wishes of the patient, they may elect to do surgery right away.  Because if conservative treatment fails, they will get surgery but have delayed their return.  There is a significant difference between the treatment and recovery between a grade I and grade III ankle sprain because there is a significant difference in the severity of the injury.  However, if he suffered a grade III ankle sprain and the Bengals reported he tore a ligament in his ankle, instead of a ankle sprain, the media and fans would have a better understanding and more realistic expectations.

You weren't here when Carson Palmer injured his elbow, but that was a lie by omission.  There have been other injuries which Hobson initially reported as sprains which were later revealed to be fractures after the player returned.  There is a pattern.  Pay attention long enough and you'll see it.

PS As a reporter, you could ask Dennard if the shoulder was separated or dislocated or ask him to look at his medical chart.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: BREAKING: Eifert to have ankle surgery - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 05-26-2016, 02:59 AM