Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salon.com once again promoting pedos.
(05-28-2016, 03:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: . My question is, are we protecting minors by allowing them to 'be who they feel they are' at such a young age? The landscape is littered with men and women who experimented at a young age, only to realize that's not who they are once they reached a more mature emotional level/age. Now, before we get into the sexuality/gender debate--since i don't have any solid data on those that felt a different gender when they were younger only to revert when they were older--let's table it for the sake of this...hypothetical. 

Wouldn't it be more beneficial for someone at such a young age to wait a bit longer before making decisions that could effect them in such a drastic way; bullying/murder, suicide, being ostracized by family and friends? We can say, 'you can't drink or have a relationship with someone 3 times your age because it's in your best, long-term interest'...but we can't say, 'you should wait till (x years) before you make this (gender) decision because it's in your best, long-term interest'?

I get the equality argument and i'm on board in most instances. But stretching the equality argument to minors in regard to gender but saying you can't make other decisions, seems hypocritical to me. 

Is asking them to wait a bit really going to effect them in such a negative way? If they've had time to mature and grow emotionally, haven't they made a better decision, regardless of whether it's the way they felt originally felt or not?

I first need to point out that all he said was "give them the right to choose their sexuality". I corrected him and told him that no one gives you that right, your sexuality is inherent. Your sexuality is not your gender identity. He then brought that into the discussion, presumably because he doesn't know the difference between sexuality and gender identity.

If you would like to discuss whether or not minors should be allowed to identify as trans, then that's a discussion we can have. 

It comes down to a few things. The first two are ideological in my part. It has to do with self ownership.

1. Only one person has control over your gender identity: yourself
2. The government should not be able to mandate medical or social decisions over yourself when there is no inherent harm

The other point addresses your concerns over bullying/suicide/etc

3. Is there more psychological harm in identifying as trans and facing discrimination than there is in being forced to hide it and feel wrong about yourself?

I know people will be shitty to trans people. We see it here. I see it in real life. I see it in the news. I see it in politics. I also know that trans people who are not able to "come out" face so much pain and end up resorting to things like drugs and alcohol to dull those pains.

So, is the minor better off facing potential discrimination or are they better off facing potential internal issues?

If you think you know the answer, then that answers your question. 

side note: I don't advocate for any hormonal treatments for minors. Any choice to receive therapy is also up to the parents. 

[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Salon.com once again promoting pedos. - BmorePat87 - 05-30-2016, 11:49 AM